Thursday, November 10, 2011

gabby goes commando

Motherhood keeps me in a steady, constantly changing variety of activity and emotions.  There are those high points when you couldn't be prouder, your head held high, beaming from ear to ear, for example everyone dressed up for Easter service, looking swell, school conferences, the admiring neighbor that is always complimentary of your children.  Then there are those moments when you want to disappear into the wood work or pretend you are "just babysitting" these terrors that happen to look just like you, for example, the screaming toddler that won't stop yelling, "I want to play Ang-wee boods on your phone," the school age child pouting at the bus stop because you make her wear a coat or the screaming and fighting coming from your truck in public as everyone assembles themselves in their seats.  I love our children but will admit whole heartily that I am humbled by them and a good example came yesterday.  (It was kind of my own fault.)  We were at Karate with the girls and we live literally 3 blocks from the studio.  Syd and Tess were busy in their class and Gabby couldn't stop yelling in the crowded waiting area, "I have to go potty."  So I finally took her to the bathroom.  While we were in the bathroom, I threw her diaper away, she went to the bathroom and I realized I didn't have another diaper along.  No big deal, they were almost done, we live close, we would be going home shortly.  In the meantime, 2 of the male instructors asked me to come in the office to talk about a couple of things.  I brought Gabby into the crowded office, set her down on the chair and started talking to the instructors.  Gabby promptly, put her feet up on the chair, spread her legs apart (she was wearing a dress) and showed everyone that she was going commando.  I was mortified and can't imagine what was going through their heads at that time.  Probably, "Wow, this woman doesn't put underwear on her kids!"  I didn't even know what to say, so I didn't say anything at all and acted like this was totally normal, marched out of the office with the shred of dignity that I had left and of course the partially naked 2 year old.  Nice.  Have a great night.  Love, Gina

No comments: