Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Post #1000

It was October 2006, Sydney was 2, Tess was a baby and my girlfriend Kelly was visiting us in Boston.  I remember her sitting in our living room telling me about "blogs."  She knew her friend, the mother of 2, lived under a rock and didn't even know what a blog was.  She told me that she thought I would enjoy it and that I should start one and all of our faraway family and friends could keep up with our family.  Then she set up the whole thing for me.  That was 1000 posts ago!!!!!!  I am so thankful that she introduced me to this because blogging has been a source of joy for me, it has been a great form of therapy for me to jot down my thoughts and feelings, a great way to stay in touch with faraway loved ones and it also has been a perfect way for me to document memories for our girls.

I keep blogging, one post at a time.  Why?  Because blogging has benefited me and our family  in specific ways:

  • Blogging has given me a place to be "real" and show our girls what really went on in their Mom's head.
  • Blogging gives me a place to jot down happy and humorous memories.  No it isn't always "cherries and berries" around here but I am not worried about our children remembering the times when Mommy was "losing it," I am pretty sure those times will ring out in their memories.   I want them to remember all of the fun that we had.  
  • Blogging has taught me a lot about myself and the life I am trying to live, our accomplishments, our failures and my never ending quest to become a better Mom and person.  
  • Blogging has reminded me how much I really love my husband and daughters and provides a place for our girls to look back and be reminded after I am gone that I really and truly loved the man I married and the children we had.  
  • Blogging has given me a place to laugh out loud when I look back at some of our daily activities and occurrences.  (Some things are just funnier later, after they have passed and we have "survived."  
  • Blogging has helped me to clarify my own thinking. 

More than anything this blog has reminded me of what my job as a mother really is.  My job as a mother is not to get our daughters into the top colleges but to teach them to enjoy an ordinary life and make it extraordinary.  To remind them to swim at the lake on a hot day, to take a walk with a friend, bake from scratch, love their family without reserve and above all, thank God every day for all that they have been given.

I am still learning, I am still growing and I am so thankful you have stuck with me for 1000 posts.  Please stay by me for at least 1000 more.

Have a great day.
Love, Gina

p.s. thank you kelly!


1 comment:

stacey said...

I adore your blog and I adore you.
And yes to all those reasons you listed. Your blog makes me smile whenever I read it and your "real life" posts make me feel normal. What a gift to give your kids!
xoxoxo